Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Dogs & Hounds

   Who doesn't love a dog? Our canine compaions fill a unique niche in our lives and share a closer bond with us than any other creature.
    So what exactly is a dog? When our ancient ancestors took wolf pups home to be raised among us, something weird and wonderful happened: the animals began to take on new forms, colors, shapes and sizes, and ...personalities.  And a new creature arose that was neither wolf nor human, and yet a little of both!
   Before we came to rely on machines for everything, our dogs served numerous purposes around the fields, woods, farms, and homes, giving rise to the axiom, "Dog is Man's best friend". No matter how far our technology advances, it will never replace our dogs and hounds! (with apologies to my DR. WHO fans and their beloved K-9! )
 
  
   Someone thought it was strange how I talked to our dog "like he understood" me. Of course they understand what we say! My wife Wendy says our Schnauzer Blackie is bilingual, fluent in English and in Spanish! Really, he probably responds more to our tone of voice, facial expressions, and hand signals.  Dogs in turn communicate with us through vocalizations, body language, and touch. 
   Anyone who's raised their dog from a pup knows he's not just a pet, but a member of the family.  A house isn't a home without a dog!
   We love dogs and they love us; they can get so attached that they will get depressed when we're gone for too long. And they know and are concerned when one of us is sick! This ability to empathize with us is probably one of the main reasons we love them so much. My sister's youngest daughter was diagnosed with autism. She got her a little service dog for therapy, and what a difference!
   So here's to the dogs: hunters, defenders, protectors, companions, therapists, and friends!
  We welcome your feedback! To get the discussion rolling: What was your best dog ever? What was the oddest dog name you've ever heard? What do you love about your dog?
What dog do you miss the most?
    Thanks for spending this time with us, we'll be back soon! Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I have a mix German Shepard and her name is Sheba. She is beautiful. When I had my operation in January this year my brother who lives on Long Island took her for a month. She did good there but my brother told me that every time someone came to his house she was looking. He say's she was looking for me. When he brought her back she was so happy to see me and I was very happy to see her. She is very special to me. I rescued her and she is missing her front left leg. She does well without it and is full of life. I am sure she misses me as I miss her now that I returned to work. She is the best.

    ReplyDelete